Sunday, December 13, 2009

Half-Ass Mom

Are you one? Would you know it if you were? Would you admit it? Well, I am and I am here, admitting it to the entire cyber world. And I'm tired of it. Or maybe I'm just tired.

One day a week, usually Saturday but today it was Sunday, my husband and I sleep in. One. Day. A. Week. On that day my oldest two boys, who wake up early anyway, get up with the three year old at the butt-crack of dawn. Then, when the one year old wakes up my oldest - a girl, takes him downstairs and feeds him and changes him. At least she is supposed to. It's my hope that she does although many mornings I find that she has not done either of those things. Poor baby. He survives though. I expect a bit of chaos when I come down. It makes me stay in bed longer. However, come down I do and we put things back in order speedy quick and move on with our day.

Today was a bit different. Today I came downstairs to a kitchen covered in powdered sugar. Do you know how hard it is to clean up powdered sugar? Well, I didn't. It doesn't come off of ceramic tile floors and kitchen counters. It is a battle and the sugar wins. After sweeping twice, swiffering, and Cinderella style scrubbing my floor is still gritty. My counters are still gritty. I think the three year old is probably still gritty and that is after two baths. Apparently if you mix a three year old, powdered sugar and pancakes together then leave them all alone in a room, a mess of massive proportions will ensue. Who knew? I DID! I thought my daughter did too. I guess watching "Suite Life on Deck" was too appealing though and little brother was not finished eating yet.

So, who is to blame? The mother who slept in? The daughter who left a toddler in a room alone with powdered sugar or the toddler himself (who is, I admit, a total imp)? Please... wherever this ends up in cyber space, please answer this question. Because, at this point, I'm ready to be June Cleaver. The kids can go straight to their rooms to do homework until I get home from work. Then, I will make them a snack and chat with them about their day. At this point they can return to their rooms or, if weather permits, go outside. Either way, they must stay out of my hair. I will cheerfully don my apron and make dinner so it will be piping hot and ready when my husband gets home. With five minutes left until dinner I will call the children in and tell them to wash their hands and faces and we will all sit down to a quiet, pleasant dinner together. There will be no chores for the kids, let them be kids. Then again, there will be no allowance and no special treats for said kids. Is that preferable? I'm tired of the house not being in my control. Then again, I'm often too tired to take care of everything and everyone in the house on my own. Something has to give. What's left?

No comments: